First Christian Church Edwardsville IL

To be a faithful, growing church, that demonstrates true community, deep Christian spirituality and a passion for justice. (Micah 6:8)

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

September 28, 2005

Today was both uplifting and extremely humbling.
Today I was introduced to the Edwardsville Police Department as the new chaplain. I spent nearly two hours in a room where almost everyone except me was carrying a gun as part of their job. Each day they place themselves between me and the bad people.
Today I hosted a meeting of the Edwardsville / Glen Carbon Ministerial Alliance. I am their president. A member brought to us a concept called Appalachian Serivce Project - we might attempt to organize the youth of our area to serve during the summer. It recalled to my memory the time when I was a pastor in Appalachia and visited folks who lived in homes that had no floor. And again I was humbled.
God calls the strong to care for the weak (1 Corinthians 8 among other passages).
Here is my celebration for today. One joy of being president of the local ministerial alliance - I was able to reach 12 congregations who at a moment's notice took on the responsibility of staffing the local food pantry with additional volunteers. In one afternoon worth of calls we were able to more than double the hours our pantry was open to meet the additional needs of those fleeing the hurricanes of recent days.
So much divides us - theology and practice - but when real need presented itself - our churches joined efforts to make this happen.
Where do we find God's spirit? In our midst, calling us to serve.
God's blessings upon your today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home